Meritus Kirchner RBIC II, L.P. (the “Fund”) will be a $25 million private equity fund making growth capital investments in the industry sectors that drive the rural economy of the United States. The Fund will focus on Manufacturing, Agriculture, Healthcare and Energy companies in rural areas.
The Fund’s partners possess deep expertise in fund management and unprecedented command of the unique issues associated with investing in the rural economy. The team is experienced with direct investments, turnarounds/workouts, change of control transactions, operational roles and exits. Collectively, the management team has operated and invested a dozen debt and equity funds over the past three decades, including what was, prior to 2014, the first and only Rural Business Investment Company (RBIC) in the United States.
Meritus Kirchner RBIC II, L.P. was conditionally approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) as a Rural Business Investment Company (RBIC) on April 13, 2015.
- Manufacturing – Largest component of the private rural economy ($146B in wages, 2.5M jobs, 6.2% growth rate since 2010)
- Agriculture – Historically the primary driver of rural economic activity (U.S. exports of $144B annually)
- Healthcare – Second largest component of the private rural economy ($100B in wages, 2.4M jobs, 2.2% growth rate since 2010)
- Energy – Fastest growing sector of the rural economy with new, transformational bio-based energy sources emerging rapidly
Source: U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis and the White House Rural Council
- Syndicate participation on a national scale
- Deal origination and syndicate leadership on a regional scale
When Meritus Kirchner RBIC II, L.P. is certified as a RBIC, members of the Farm Credit System will be able to make equity investments in the Fund. Investments in the Fund also will be eligible for CRA credit.